Sunday, January 10, 2010

Because she's dope.

 So, my mom has always loved Me'Shell NdegéOcello, especially her first album Plantation Lullabies (1993). But, I reckon as a youngin' I wasn't ready to listen to, really hear, and appreciate her music. I'm there now :] And I plan to learn more. Recently, one of my friends made me aware of this song and the album it's from, Comfort Woman (2003). Before the only songs I had heard were "Fool of Me" (which you may have heard in the movie Love & Basketball), "If That's Your Boyfriend," "Who Is He and What is He to You?" Clearly not enough since she's been making music since 1993.

 1. "Andromeda & the Milky Way"

Beautiful lyrics & the music takes me to the title.



2. "If That's Your Boyfriend (He Wasn't Last Night)"

I just think this video and song are really interesting. There's a lot to listen and attend to from the actual track, as well as what the women in the video are saying. First, the black and white can not be ignored. And it's more than the literal colors on the screen but the presence of Black and White women (for me, an awareness heightened by the first woman's statement at the beginning of the video). But also larger themes of love and relationships, family, cheating, gender, sexuality etc. And, I feel like this could become a very long interpretation. Not my intention. I'll just let you watch, listen, judge and enjoy for yourself.   




No comments:

Post a Comment