Tuesday, November 2, 2010

confessions of my triflin side: an effort at accountability

1. i haven't touched my guitar in weeks.
2. i am so inconsistent. one week i practice for at least 20-30min a day, even if at 2am before going to bed.
2. other weeks, not so much.
3. i want to change this.
4. ... eek. i've never even learned a song.
5. i never quite got past chord progression from Em to C, from C to D for "Stand By Me" when my friend showed me at the beginning of the semester.
6. for all the talk i've done about wanting a guitar and learning how to play, smh. i need to get it together and be dedicated.
7. i ALSO need to structure my time to fit in learning how to play my guitar and writing. and writing needs lots of time cause i'm talking journaling, nonfiction stories, poems, adapting poems to performances, submitting pieces, writing lists of what i really want, planning to travel, stuff man.
8. but yo, i been tellin ppl check me out on the guitar in 2011 and 2011 is coming close.
9. i've always wanted to write songs. i've always wanted to learn how to play an instrument, the guitar, just for me at the least.
10. i get the strong feeling that me finally gettin my guitar and not playing it consistently, is like finding the love of my life and leaving him next to the lamp behind my bed, in front of my window... where i keep my guitar.
11. 'cause you know, practicing what you love is important. being grateful for opportunity is important. so. goals.
12. action steps.
a. i wanna learn how to do a couple dexterity exercises with ease.
b. that first chord progression shown to me i mentioned.
c. practice everyday. i'll give myself one day i'm allowed to forget just for shits and giggles but really i want to practice everyday. so maybe that day won't be for shits and giggles, it'll be for if i have a whole lot to do and picking up my guitar would really really distract me and throw me off focus into oblivion. mmkay ;)
d. i want to be learning how to play songs by winter break. um, like. with more comfort and confidence.
13. you know, i don't really know what realistic goals are for this process, but i will just say, i would like to dedicate time to getting better with you. okay? okay. thank you for being there for me.

i'm completely aware that i'm ridiculous. 

2 comments:

  1. yo girl, you and me both. My piano is collecting dust in my bedroom....smh I know a few songs but It aint good enough. I've had it for almost two years. Not a good look. We both need to get back on it, quick.

    ReplyDelete