Monday, January 25, 2010

Missed Connections.

So I randomly came across this blog yesterday that led me to this blog called Missed Connections. So apparently, there is this whole phenomenon where people post instances where they had a connection with someone and missed out on whatever could've happened there. Missed connections, I gather, are meeting eyes and feeling your heart jump/ seeing something really interesting about a person that just draws you in etc etc and not making moves. The blog above showcases Sophie Blackall's illustrations of these instances with the text from things written on Craigslist or the missed connections website. She's focusing on New York but there are different ones for different cities. It's wild to me that this exists, because it just seems to me this is something that happens and you might smile at or kick yourself for later and leave it at that. I wonder how many of these things actually work out. Dreams dashed or come true and all that jazz. Either way, I think the illustrations are dope, and fun. Now, I'm pretty interested in the idea. Thinking I might write a story or something. But, it has already been done of course in movies, books and songs. It is an old idea that never gets old in my opinion, especially since I hadn't realized how it has already entered my consciousness in other ways/forms.

For example, Alicia Keys and Mos Def in this song/video...

 


Or Lenny Kravitz and this woman from the little restaurant in the video for "Again" (with the infamous booty/shower shot). The embedding is disabled, so to YouTube (click the link) you go.


 Or in the movie Meet Joe Black. And, this one was pretty intense.


That's the best of the YouTube vids. Missed connection starts around 1:10. It would've been nice to see the convo beforehand. Whoever is in charge gone make sure you watch the movie. It's good though. Long as all get out, but I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment